I would say the true gluten cravings really set in last week. I was craving bagels, pizza, nachos, etc. One of the things I love so much about this challenge is that it forces me to get creative with my food. I ended up making nachos with homemade cashew/sweet potato cheese on homemade plantain chips... and they were absolutely divine (recipe to come!) But honestly most days, I haven't had the time to prepare such elaborate meals for myself. I've gotten in the habit of cooking large quantities of food early in the week and eating the leftovers throughout the week. For meal prep inspiration, be sure to check out my Buddha Bowls!
Today's recipe is the perfect healthy fast food. It's packed with protein and healthy fat to keep you full and comes together in less than 30 minutes. The coconut quinoa is comforting and belly-warming, while the lentils and veggies give a salty, spicy kick. I hope you enjoy!
Skillet Lentils with Coconut Quinoa
COOK TIME: 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 25 minutes
YIELD: 2 large servings
1.5 cups dry quinoa
1.5 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 cup water
1.5 cups cooked lentils (canned or frozen)
1 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
1 tbsp tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
1/2 red onion, chopped
1.5 cups mushrooms, chopped
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp chili powder
1. Clean and chop red onions, mushrooms, and spinach.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil or coconut oil over medium heat. Add red onions.
3. In a separate pot, combine dry quinoa, coconut milk, and water. Cover and simmer on medium heat for 10-13 minutes or until quinoa is soft and fluffy. Stir as needed.
4. Add the mushrooms and lentils to the onion skillet. Stir in tamari. After a few minutes, add fresh spinach. Remove from heat and stir until spinach is fully wilted.
5. When quinoa is cooked, stir in garlic powder, curry powder, turmeric, and chili powder. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
6. Serve lentils and veggies on top of the quinoa or combine all of it into a pot. Enjoy!