I had a few friends over for dinner and really wanted to make something that fit into my Clean Eating Challenge, but that would also keep them full and satisfied. To my delight, my friends FLIPPED over this recipe and everyone asked for seconds.
When I'm clean eating, I mostly miss comfort food... This recipe is the perfect combination of a thick and rich sauce on top of light, squash noodles. It feels indulgent yet healthy all at once. This is a great batch meal - I cooked a double batch and the leftovers were just as tasty in the following days. This recipe is also completely customizable to your tastes - I used broccoli and mushrooms but bell pepper, peas, and tomatoes would all taste wonderful in this dish.
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 50 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour
YIELD: Serves 2-4
1 large spaghetti squash
1 head broccoli, chopped into florets
2 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 cup magic cheese sauce (recipe below)
olive oil for sautéeing
Magic Cheese Sauce Ingredients:
1 small sweet potato
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp tahini
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
red pepper to taste
1. Chop spaghetti squash in half length-wise. Scoop out seeds/guts. Drizzle with olive oil and roast for 40 minutes at 400 F or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, pierce sweet potato with a fork and microwave for 5 minutes or until tender. Adjust time based on size of potato.
3. Remove potato-skin. In a blender, combine sweet potato, tahini, almond milk, and nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth. For a more liquid-y texture, add more almond milk. Spice with red pepper to taste.
4. Sauté broccoli and mushrooms over medium heat until tender. Remove from heat.
5. Once squash is roasted, allow to cool for several minutes. Scrape inside with a fork to form noodles. Combine in a pot with cooked veggies and mix in cheese sauce. Heat over low heat for a few minutes until flavors combine.
Note: You can prep your spaghetti squash noodles the day before, so that as soon as veggies and cheese sauce are ready, you can immediately mix in and heat your already prepared noodles.