PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 15 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 35 minutes
YIELD: Serves 4
4 large bell peppers, any color
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1/2 red onion
1-2 cups white mushrooms
2 vegan sausage links
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1 cup chopped olives (optional)
1 cup pizza sauce
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 cup shredded vegan mozzarella
1 tsp olive oil
garlic powder to taste
1. Cook 1 cup of quinoa in 2 cups of water.
2. Meanwhile, in a separate large pot, boil 4 cups of water. Prepare bell peppers by removing the membrane and seeds and chopping each bell pepper in half.
3. Place the prepped bell peppers in the large pot of boiling water to pre-cook. They should take about 5-7 minutes. Be ware to not overcook or your peppers may fall apart. You'll know they are ready when the color has just slightly dulled and the peppers are still slightly firm. Place the peppers on a baking sheet to cool until your filling is ready to stuff.
4. Chop onion, mushrooms, tomatoes, olives, and vegan sausage. Sauté veggies in olive oil over medium heat.
5. Preheat oven to 350 F. Once quinoa and veggies are cooked separately, you can combine cooked quinoa in the sautéd vegetable pan. Add 1 cup of pizza sauce, 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, and garlic powder to taste.
6. Stuff each pepper with quinoa veggie filling and top with vegan mozzarella. Bake peppers for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and peppers are soft.