Though I no longer celebrate by eating corned beef, the Irish drinking songs are certainly blaring in my New York City apartment today. Last year, I shared my Ultimate Vegan Reuben recipe for St. Paddy's day (which is now featured on Peaceful Dumpling,) and as I posted it again yesterday I was so bummed that I am currently in the middle of my clean eating challenge.
But then, of course, I realized I could still create a festive meal that is also clean.
This reuben stuffed sweet potato features my famous tempeh corned beef (with a few clean tweaks), cashew cheese sauce, and sauerkraut. It is definitely the meat-and-potatoes type dish I crave on this day and most definitely reminds me of home!
COOK TIME: 40 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 55 minutes
YIELD: 1 large stuffed potato
1 large sweet potato
6 strips tempeh corned beef
2 tbsp cashew cheese sauce
sauerkraut to taste
1 tsp coconut oil for sautéing
For the corned beef:
1/2 package gluten free tempeh
2 tbsp tamari/ gluten free soy sauce
1 tbsp whole grain mustard
1 tbsp crushed garlic
1 tbsp fresh ground pepper, salt, and red pepper
For the cashew cheese:
1 cup raw cashews
1 cup water
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 tsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 400F. Bake sweet potato for 40 minutes.
2. Place cashews in a small dish and cover with water. Set aside and let soak while the potato bakes.
3. Combine tamari, mustard, garlic, and spices in a dish and allow tempeh to marinate while potato bakes.
4. After about half an hour, sauté tempeh strips in coconut oil until golden brown and crispy on both sides. Pour extra marinade over strips as they cook.
5. Combine soaked cashews, water, vinegar, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and spices in a blender. Add more water if needed for a thinner sauce.
6. Remove sweet potato from oven. Allow to cool before cutting open and assembling potato. Enjoy!