The smokey-maple tempeh bacon adds sweetness, while the vegan sausage is perfectly salty and spicy. Portabella mushrooms and fresh spinach add crunch and depth while the veganaise provides the creamy factor. All in all, this breakfast sandwich is jaw-droppingly tasty.
COOK TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 15 minutes
YIELD: 1 sandwich
(though if you purchase all ingredients you'll have enough to make up to 5)
2 thick slices vegan ground sausage (I suggest Gimme Lean as the tube-shape makes for easy sausage-patty forming)
4 slices tempeh bacon (I used Tofurkey brand Smokey Maple Bacon Strips)
1/2 cup fresh spinach
2 slices portabello mushroom
1 tbsp veganaise
1 whole grain bagel thin
Cooking spray of choice
1. Chop portabella mushroom. Cut through the vegan sausage tube, as shown above, and form two small patties (about the size of half the palm of your hand.)
2. Spritz cooking spray of choice in a large pan and cook the sausages over medium heat. They'll take about two minutes on each side to brown.
3. Add the tempeh bacon to the pan and brown as well. Again this process should take about two minutes on each side.
4. While the sausage and tempeh bacon are browning, toast your bread.
5. Transfer sausage and tempeh bacon to a plate and cook portabella mushroom slices. These should only take about 1 minute on each side.
6. While the mushrooms cook, spread veganaise on your toasted bread. Add fresh spinach.
7. Remove mushrooms from heat and assemble sandwich.