As if loaded vegan nachos aren't amazing enough, when they are served over fresh, toasty, homemade plantain chips, the flavor experience is unlike anything you've tasted!
Prepare the chips in three easy steps... #1. Chop...
Loaded Plantain Nachos
COOK TIME: 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 40 minutes
YIELD: serves 2, or 1 very hungry person
3 plantains (for a sweeter taste, go for blackened, ripe peels. For a starchier, potato-type taste, stick to the green peels)
1 tbsp coconut oil
sea salt to taste
1/2 lb. vegan beef crumbles
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 cup vegan cheese shreds (I used Daiya pepper jack) or vegan nacho cheese
pico de gallo or Mama Judy's Famous Salsa
avocado or guacamole
Other optional topping ideas: vegan sour cream, jalapeños, corn salsa, black beans, green chilies, etc.
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Slice plantains into 1/4 inch chips
3. Toss plantain slices with coconut oil and sea salt.
4. Bake chips for 20-25 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
5. When the chips are ready, decrease heat to 300 F and top plantain chips with vegan cheese. Place in oven for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
6. Meanwhile, cook vegan beef crumbles over medium heat until browned. Add garlic powder, cumin, paprika, and chili powder to create a smokey, taco flavor.
7. Assemble nachos with your favorite toppings including lettuce, pico de gallo, avocado, and fresh cilantro! ENJOY!