But seriously, this recipe is super delicious even after omitting the breadcrumbs and cheese. If you're like me and love viral food videos but wish you could make a lighter, healthier version, look no further.
COOK TIME: 60 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 70 minutes
YIELD: serves 4
2 small-medium acorn squash (or 1 Large**)
1 yellow onion
2 celery stalks
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp fresh rosemary
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 lb vegan sausage (I used Gimme Lean)
fresh parsley for garnish - optional
**Note: Buzzfeed Tasty suggests two small squash or one large, however, I definitely recommend using TWO. I used one large squash and ended up with about double the amount of stuffing that I needed.
1. Preheat your oven to 400 F.
2. Chop the rounded edges off of your acorn squash (so it can lie flat in pan) then chop the squash in half down the middle.
3. Hollow out each half by removing seeds with a spoon.
4. Place hollowed halves on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper
5. Bake at 400 F for about 40 minutes or until tender.
6. Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat. Chop onion, garlic, and celery, then cook over oil until mostly tender.
7. Add vegan sausage and sauté until golden brown.
8. Lastly add chopped apple and rosemary. Once everything is cooked through, remove from heat.
9. Take roasted acorn squash out of the oven (don't turn oven off) and fill each half with the stuffing mixture. Continue baking for about another 15-20 minutes or until tops are crisp. Enjoy!