This recipe is the perfect Sunday night dinner recipe because it makes enough to feed your entire clan and still have leftovers for your busy Monday.
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOK TIME: 45 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 50 minutes
YIELD: 6-8 large servings
2 cups uncooked arborio rice
1 cup dry white wine
1 32oz box vegetable stock
2 tbsp vegan butter
2 shallots, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1 bunch fresh asparagus
2 cups fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes
1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1 cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp lemon pepper
salt to taste
1. In a large pot, melt 2 tablespoons of vegan butter. Chop your shallots. In a smaller pot, warm vegetable stock.
2. Cook shallots in melted butter for 2-3 minutes or until translucent.
3. Add 2 cups uncooked arborio rice to the large pot. Add 1 cup dry white wine and do not add anymore liquid until the wine is almost completely evaporated.
4. Wash and chop your mushrooms and asparagus. In a medium pan, heat 1 tsp olive oil.
5. First add asparagus. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes then add a splash of water and allow asparagus to steam. You will want the asparagus to stay al dante so that it does not become too soggy when mixed into the risotto.
6. Meanwhile, once the wine as evaporated from your rice, you can begin to add warm vegetable stock one half cup at a time. *read my note on risotto if this is your first time*
7. Add the mushrooms to the asparagus pan and allow them to cook for several minute. The asparagus and mushrooms shouldn't take more than ten minutes combined. Turn off heat and set aside once they are cooked.
8. Chop sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil.
9. You will know your risotto is ready when the rice is soft, creamy, and has puffed up a bit. Add 1 cup of nutritional yeast and stir. Add lemon pepper. Add asparagus and mushrooms. Top with fresh basil and sun-dried tomatoes. ENJOY!